Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Potato Leek Soup Recipe and a Movie Recommendation

For $1 I recently picked up 5 lbs of potatoes. I was speaking with brother who recommended that I use my excess potatoes to make some potato leek. So I did, and it was glorious.

Recipe:
2 leeks, the white parts thinly sliced
1/2 yellow onion
4 cloves garlic
2 lbs (ish) potatoes
1.5 C Buttermilk
1.5 C vegetable stock
3 TBL butter
salt and pepper

I threw in the leeks, onion and garlic with the butter and salt and pepper in my dutch oven and sauteed for about 15 minutes. While that was sauteeing I boiled the potatoes. When the potatoes were finished I put them in the dutch oven and added the buttermilk and vegetable stock. I used my immersion blender (which is magical) and suddenly there was soup! And it was super tasty. It is hearty and tangy and filling but light at the same time.

I made a pretty thick soup and if you wanted it lighter you could definitely add more of the liquids. I think the flavor was perfect using a 1:1 ratio of buttermilk and stock, but the amount you add is all personal preference.

I also had a spinach, cherry, turkey bacon and hazelnut salad which also rocked. I can't stop eating turkey bacon.

Film Recommendation: Angels in America

I came home the other day and Ula was watching the HBO miniseries based on Tony Kushner's Angels in America. I first saw the play when I was 16 in San Francisco. I saw both parts in the same day, which was about 7 hours of theater. It was absolutely amazing and remains the best play I have ever seen. It might actually be my favorite piece of writing. It is beyond brilliant and worth re-watching just to hear what Tony Kushner can do with words. It is fascinating, funny, sad, crazy and exuberant. Watch it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment