Friday, February 26, 2010

Fear of the Feminine

As you may be aware I have recently developed an obsession with all things Men's Figure Skating related. This includes Plushenko's hilarious "dramatic" faces and mullet. I also love the way gold-medal winner Evan Lysacek fist pumps at the end of each routine resembling DJ Paulie D's long-lost cousin. Obviously my favorite thing about ice skating is American treasure Johnny Weir. Due to my new obsession I watched all of the olympic coverage of this event as well as reading several articles, watching some youtube videos, etc.

One thing I have learned from all of this is that figure skating is as homophobic as any other sport. Below is a video of Johnny's famous Poker Face routine. Of note is the giggling by the announcers at the end and comments about how outrageous he is (or you know, gay). He clearly makes them so uncomfortable.


I honestly do not understand. Why are people so scared of effeminate men? I find the coverage of Johnny Weir offensive on a number of levels. As a woman, what am I to take from the fact that somehow being feminine is the worst possible thing in the world? Why is it awesome if a woman is into drinking whiskey and watching football but a man who watches figure skating and enjoys an appletini is the object of ridicule? I don't understand why in 2010 we are still so reverent about all things masculine. Below is a video which does a much better job than I could do explaining the offensive and ridiculous way that Johnny Weir has been covered by the press.



Anyway, now I'm off to watch some movies on Lifetime, drink pink cocktails and paint my nails.

No comments:

Post a Comment